Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hospital Stay

Well after being home for 2 days, I wasn't feeling well again so I went to visit our family doctor. I was having a some shortness of breath and stomach/chest/back pains which could have been my asthma acting up among other things but I was getting very annoyed with it.
They did an EKG and mentioned that I could possibly have a blood clot in my chest which I guess is common with pregnancy when carrying a heavy baby. I also was having some severe swelling. My doctor sent me to the hospital for some tests. I was getting upset with all the tests they kept running on me. I had a cat scan (to check for clots), chest x-rays, ultrasound on my legs (to check for blood clots as if I had one in my lung that would be where it came from), more EKG testing, blood tests, as well as having my blood pressure checked every 15 minutes or so.
After being a "guest" of the ER for 6 hours the decided they were going to admit me because I was having symptoms of severe postpartum pre-eclampsia which is very common. The symptoms for pre-eclampsia are high blood pressure, edema (swelling), headache, back pains and my kidneys were being impacted a bit. I had a lot of fluid in my chest among other places which was causing the chest pain and breathing issues. All of this has nothing to do with my heart having problems, its due to my body having difficulty with being pregnant and often times can be due to the delivery too. I am on blood pressure pills just for a short time to flush the fluid out of my system as that is putting a lot of strain on my body alone and also to get my pressure back down to normal. As I am recovering from major surgery my body is clearly having problems trying to fix everything at once. In 24 hours I lost 9-10 pounds of fluid and over the last week have lost 26 pounds. Im impressed! I will be taken off the pills in a few weeks too which Im happy about.
Baby and daddy are doing well, baby gained all his weight back and then some that he lost in the hospital after he was born. He tends to sleep about 2.5 hours - 3 hours between feedings and sleeps almost all day. We are hoping to get some time to relax and nap between crying and visits but we are getting there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wish I was home to help you out with something! I don't even remember how to hold a baby- its been like 8 years- since Jackson was born! I don't remember if I even ever held Abbie even though Kara was trying to get me to! Let me know if I can do anything from afar- take care of yourself & get well! I'll be home for Hal's shower at the end of June-- maybe Monday the 30th I can stop in for a quick hi! Let me know! My little cousin should be in the hospital until the 1st... that was her due date- even though they scare me being so tiny I can't wait to see all the new babies at home!!! ~ Melissa